If you are passionate about music and want to make a career out of it, becoming a professional orchestra musician may be the right path. There are many different ways to become a member of a professional orchestra, and in this article, we will discuss three of the best ones. So if you’re ready to take your musical career to the next level, keep reading!
Dr George Freundlich is a career musician and has been a professional orchestra member. Thus, feel free to learn from him. Dr George Freundlich Matheson is also a retired medical doctor and has served as the Chief of Staff, Former Medical Director, and Active Staff at Bingham memorial hospital for several years. Orchestras are a cherished part of our cultural landscape. They can be an expensive hobby to maintain, but there are ways you can join a professional orchestra without breaking the bank. Here are three tips!
- Join as an amateur musician. You may not get paid, but most orchestras are always in need of additional members. This is a great way to start and see if orchestral playing is for you.
- Look for community or student orchestras. These orchestras often have fewer expenses and membership fees than professional orchestras do. Plus, they provide great opportunities to learn from more experienced players.
- Find a regional orchestra. Many smaller orchestras offer lower membership dues and fewer performance obligations than more prominent orchestras. This can be a great way to start as a professional musician without making a huge commitment.
Alternatives Ways to be a Member of a Professional Orchestra
- Apply to be a section leader. This is a great way to get your foot in the door of a professional orchestra. Section leaders are typically the most experienced and talented musicians in an orchestra, and they often have a say in which new members are hired.
- Try out for assistant or principal associate positions. Less experienced players often fill these positions, but they can still be a great way to get your start in a professional orchestra.
- Audition for a spot in the orchestra. This is the most common way to become a member of a professional orchestra. If you have the talent and the dedication, this is the path for you.
- Join an orchestra through a music school or conservatory. If you’re a music student, then this is a great way to get your start in a professional orchestra. Many orchestras have programs that allow students to join as part of their educational experience.
- Find a freelance orchestra. These orchestras are made up of independent musicians who come together to play for specific engagements. This can be a great way to experience playing in an orchestra without making a long-term commitment.
No matter which path you choose, becoming a member of a professional orchestra is a great way to take your musical career to the next level. With hard work and dedication, you can achieve your dreams of playing beautiful music with some of the best musicians in the world.